The Belmont is an independent family owned Hotel in the heart of Leicester. Situated in pretty New Walk, a Victorian conservation area, we are minutes walk from Leicester train station, Leicester and De Montfort Universities and the best shopping the city has to offer. The Hotel is the highest AA rated 3* in Leicester
The buildings that the Belmont Hotel occupies were all built by a man called William Rushkin between 1862 and 1865 as part of the rapid growth of Victorian Leicester. When first built they sat in green fields alongside the famous New Walk, originally the Roman road connecting Ratae (Leicester) with Colchester, which the Town Council, in its wisdom, declared a pedestrian thoroughfare in 1785, believed to be the first of its kind in England.
Belmont House, on De Montfort St was built as a girls school, but was used for a number of other purposes until Rachel Bowie, the wife of a successful Scottish mining engineer, bought it in 1934. Since then it has been run as a hotel by succeeding generations of the Bowie family, growing from 8 rooms to nearly 80, starting as a bed and breakfast and today being highly rated by the AA.
New Walk is a delightful route to the shopping centre and the Open Air Market which is one of the largest permanent open air markets in Europe and has been in the centre of Leicester for a thousand years. St Stephen’s, the church opposite the hotel, has an interesting history having been moved there brick by brick in the 1890’s from a site next to the station. Further down New Walk is the Leicester Museum, built by Joseph Hansom in 1834 (and responsible for firing the imagination of a young David Attenborough).
Belmont House and Belmont Villas, as the houses leading up New Walk were known would have been quite ‘posh’ houses in Victorian Leicester and indeed there is a Blue Plaque on the hotel celebrating Earnest Gimson, who lived here in the 1870’s and was visited by his mentor William Morris on a number of occasions.